Athenaeum Club Observatory, Bury St Edmunds (1858 – ), established by the Athenaeum Club in Bury-St.-Edmunds, Suffolk. The main telescope is a 4-inch Troughton & Simms Refractor housed inside a dome on top of the building (Mobberley Goward 2005).
Bennett Observatory, Leiston (1922-37) established Arthur Frederick Bennett, the observatory was equipped with a 6-inch Cooke refractor on an equatorial mount (see Orwell Astronomy Society: History section [http://www.oasi.org.uk]).
Cockfield Tower Observatory, St. Peter’s Church, Cockfield (1767-1773), established by the Revd. William Ludham where he made observations using a transit instrument – evidence of a slot in the tower wall, which has been repaired, is apparent. The instrument might be the one used at the St. Johns College Observatory, Cambridge – preserved at the Whipple Museum, Cambridge (Mobberley 2006, 123-5).
Collinson Observatory, Playford (1980s- ), established by Edward Howard Collinson and equipped with 10-inch Calver Reflector on loan from the BAA (see Orwell Astronomy Society: History section [http://www.oasi.org.uk]).
May Obseravtory, Bolton Lane, Ipswich (1840-50s), established by Charles May and equipped with a 6 1/4-inch refractor by Merz, a 20-inch [FL] transit instrument housed in a building to the ‘Bedford Plan’ and dome like that of Hartwell House – a reference to Admiral Smyth’s Bedford and Lee’s Observatories (Weale 1851, 71-2).
Mobberley Observatory, Cockfield (1980s- ), established by Martin Mobberley and equipped with a 14-inch SCT instrument on a Paramount mount and a 12-inch Reflector stored in ‘Dog Kennel’ shed with rails to slide out instrument (Moore 2002, 29-40).
Orwell Park Observatory, Nacton, Ipswich (1874- ), established by Colonel Tomline at his at Orwell Park. Its main telescope is a 10-inch Merz refractor on a Troughton & Simms mounting with a transit instrument housed adjacent to the main dome. It was principally used to observe comets. The former country house is now a school, and in recent times the Observatory has been superbly restored by members of Orwell Astronomical Society [see http://www.oasi.org.uk].
Boreham Observatory (1850s- ), established by William Wakling Boreham at Havershill and equipped with a 6-inch refractor on a portable equatorial mounting. After Boreham’s death the telescope was donated to Newham College and erected in a new observatory in the college grounds.