The Society would be delighted to hear from anyone with more information about this county’s links with astronomy. Can you add anything to the names of the people and places listed below? Please contact me if you have anything however small.
Email: Survey Officer
Dawes, Rev. William Rutter (1799-1868), See below for Cranbrook Observatory, and Wateringbury Observatory – see County of London.
Darwin, George Howard (1845-1912) son of the famous biologist, Charles Darwin was born at Downe July 9 1845 and was educated at Cambridge. He became Professor of Astronomy there in 1883, working mainly on tidal theory. Knighted in 1906 he died December 7, 1912.
Hussey, Revd. Thomas J. (1792-1854) – had an observatory at Hayes, Kent, which he sold in 1841 to the new Durham Observatory.
Lynden-Bell, Donald (1935- ), born Dover (see Cambridgeshire).
Main, Robert (1808-78) was born at Upnor, Kent. From Queen’s College, Cambridge, he graduated sixth wrangler in 1834, and took holy orders. Appointed Chief Assistant at the ROG 1835, served there for 25 years, then in 1860 became Radcliffe Observer in Oxford. (see ODNB; County of London; Oxfordshire)
Markwick, Ernest Elliott (1853-1925), born in East Acton, Kent, an original member of the BAA, President 1912-14, Director BAA Variable Star Section 1899-1909. FRAS 1879. On his 21st birthday 19 July 1874 his parents gave him a 2.3/4″(8cm) refractor which remained a favourite instrument, later mounted on a Wray equatorial mount and tripod. Observatories at Devonport 1898-1903; Boscombe, Hants, 1905-14, where he added an 8.5-inch (21.6cm) altazimuth Calver reflector and 4-inch Grubb equatorial refractor; lastly ‘The Beehive Observatory’ in 1919 at his retirement home in West Moors, Dorset, just north of Bournemouth, Hants, where a Romsey Observatory housed his Grubb refractor while he observed variables with the reflector. His first recorded variable star observation was 1883, and regularly from 1888 until 1924. He was also a regular solar observer. “A very distinguished astronomer”, his Calver is on view at the Auckland Observatory, New Zealand (see Shears 2012).
McClean, Frank (1837-1904), born Glasgow, educated at Cambridge, inherited money and built an observatory at Ferncliffe, 1875 (see ODNB).
Peek, Bertrand Meigh (1891 -1965), as a teacher who taught at Canterbury (see Warwickshire).
Chatham Observatory, 1841-?
Established by Captain (later Sir) William Denison, within the fortifications, for instructing Woolwich cadets as candidates for the Royal Engineers. He lent an azimuth instrument, and a transit. General Pasley ordered the addition of an 18″ repeating circle, and a 2¾” Jones equatorial. (see Main/Weale, 1851, p. 56).
Chatham Observatory (1841)
Established within the fortifications for instructing Woolwich cadets as candidates for the Royal Engineers. Captain (Sir William) Denison proposed adding a course of practical astronomy. He provided an altazimuth instrument and portable transit. General Pasley added an 18″ repeating circle, and a 2¾” Jones equatorial refractor.
Dawes’s Cranbrook Observatory  (1844-50) at Camden Lodge, established by William Rutter Dawes, with a 2¾-inch Simms transit circle, clock. Having remarried in 1842 a lady with wealth, was able to leave Bishop’s Observatory and move to Cranbrook near his friend John Herschel at Hawkhurst. In 1846 he purchased a 6½-inch Merz refractor on a Dorpat type mount, to which clock drive was added. With this instrument he discovered Saturn’s crepe ring (See: Howse 1986).
Dawes’s Wateringbury Observatory  (1850-7), nr. Maidstone, established by Revd. William Rutter Dawes. Later he tried a 7½-inch Alvan Clark object glass (See: Howse 1986).
Mc Clean’s Observatory (1875), Fercliffe nr. Tunbridge Wells. The country home of Frank McClean (1837-1904), a Cambridge wrangler who inherited wealth. He built an observatory to house a 15-inch reflector, and studied solar spectra and prominences. At his nearby Rusthall House in 1884 he built a laboratory and heliostat… from 1887 he was a regular contributor to MNRAS. In 1895 he installed a twin 10/12-inch Grubb photo-visual refractor, and became a pioneer of objective prism spectroscopy. A major benefactor of astronomy (MHS Oxford has photos).
Freeman’s Observatory (1888), Murston, Sittingbourne, established by Alexander Freeman (1838-1897), see Surrey page . An observatory with a 6-inch telescope. In 1891 he was appointed dean of Sittingbourne, and moved it there. From 1893 he was director of the Saturn section of the BAA, and by 1893 contributed twenty papers.
Hussey’s Observatory (1825-37), Hayes, established by Revd. Thomas J. Hussey with a 6½-inch Fraunhofer refractor, a small Simms transit, and clock by Hardy of London. Hussey used these instruments to create one of the star maps published by the Berlin Academy (See: Howse 1986).
Nasmyth’s Observatory (1856-90), Hammerfield, Penshurst, established by James Nasmyth (1808-90), who made his fortune making machine tools, and retired to Kent in 1856.
By 1845 he had constructed his now famed 20-inch‘comfortable’ reflector for which he had a seat at the focus he contrived through the trunnion, now known as the Nasmyth focus, and widely used for mounting the large ancillary instruments for giant reflectors. In 1851 he had won a prize at the Great Exhibition for a drawing of the Moon. Now he concentrated on many years of lunar observations. In 1874 with James Carpenter he published The Moon considered as a Planet, a World, and a Satellite. The illustrations were beautiful photographs of plaster models. In 1860 he was the first to discover ‘willow leaf’ patterns on the solar surface. A crater on the Moon is named after him.
Nasmyth’s 20-inch reflector is in the store of the Science Museum, London.
Snow’s Observatory (1834-54), Ashurst, established by R. Snow. He purchased a magnificent Molyneux regulator clock new in 1834, determined the longitude of his observatory, and then compiled a catalogue of Right Ascensions of 125 stars
(See: Howse 1986).
Wilkins’s Observatory (1918-1960), Bexleyheath, established by Hugh Percy Wilkins (1896-1960) who was born Carmarthen. He began observing in 1909. After service during World War I he settled in Kent. In 1918 he joined the BAA, became a selenographer, and Director of the Lunar Section 1946-56. From his garden in Bexleyheath he observed at first with 12½-inch reflector; later with a 15½-inch reflector. He also made observations using the telescopes at professional observatories in Europe and the United States.
He produced in 1924 a 60″ map of the Moon, which included new names for a number of features. In 1951 he published a revised 300″-diameter map of the Moon, considered by some as the culmination of the art of selenography prior to the space age. However his maps were dense with detail, some of which was fictitious, making them less useful.
Wollaston’s Observatory (c.1770-c.1820), Chiselhurst, established by Revd. Francis Wollaston, FRS (1731-1815). In his privately printed autobiography The Secret History of a Private Man, he explains that his pursuit of astronomy was intended to separate him at a “distance from the misrepresentations of narrow minded biggots”. He had a Peter Dollond refractor with a triplet object glass(See: Howse 1986).
Local History Centre
Kent Libraries and Archives HQ
Royal Engineers Road
Maidstone ME14 2LH
Tel: 01622 671411
fax: 01622 696450
Societies and Organisations
Ashford Astronomical Society (AsAS), founded 2007. Members (70-2016) meet first at Stanhope in Ashford but have now moved to Woodchurch Memorial Hall, Woodchurch, Ashford (TN26 3QB).
Cranbrook and District Science and Astronomical Society (CDSAG), founded by 2006. Members meet at Cranbrook School at Waterloo Rd, Cranbrook (TN17 3JD) and the use of Alan Young Telescope (22-inch reflector)
Crayford Manor House Astronomical Society (CMHAS), founded 1956 with Dr Hugh Percival Wilkins as its first president. Originally meeting at Crayford Manor House (F.E. College) where they erected their Wilkins Memorial Observatory (24-inch reflector). In 2012, due to the closing of the college, the society moved to Parsonage Lane Pavilion,
Parsonage Lane, Sutton-at-Hone (DA4 9HD), where their observatory was re-established as the Dick Chambers Sutton-at-Hone Observatory housing a 16-inch Meade SCT reflecting telescope.
Edenbridge and District Astronomers (EDA), founded 2010 to encourage astronomy, for both beginners and the more experienced. Members (20-2016) meet at Lingfield Community Centre (RH7 6AB).
Folkestone Astronomy Club (FAC), founded 2015. Few details on facebook pages.
Herne Bay Amateur Astronomical Society (HBAAS), founde (?). Members meet monthly (4th Fri.) at Unit 14, 227, Sea Street, Herne Bay, (CT6 8JZ) and observe at Broomfield Community Park, Ford Road, Broomfield (CT6 7AD).
Mid-Kent Astronomical Society (MidKAS), founded 1976. Members from mid, east and north Kent (100 – 2018) meet regularly at Bredhurst Village Hall, Hurstwood Road,
Bredhurst, Gillingham (ME7 3JZ) and observe at their James Irwin Observatory in Canterbury that houses a 14-inch Celstron SCT (14-inch reflecting telescope).
Orpington Astronomical Society (OrpAS), founded 1980 when 35 people met at Darrick Wood School and decided to found an astronomical society from an evening class run by Gilbert Satterthwaite. Members meet monthly (4th Wed.) at St. Francis of Assisi Church Hall on Greencourt Road in Petts Wood (BR5 1QW).
South East Kent Astronomical Society (SEKAS), founded 1972. Members (100 – 2018) meet monthly (2nd Sat.) at Alkham Village Hall, Hogbrook Hill Lane, Alkham (CT15 7BU) and have recently established their SEKAS Observatory at a dark sky site.
Thanet Astronomy Group (TAG), founded 2013. Members meet weekly at at the West Bay Cafe, Sea Road, Westgate-on-Sea (CT8 8QZ).