Bangay’s Observatory [BOLR] (c1881-1896), ‘Belmont House’, Lyme Regis, established by Dr Richard Bangay in the grounds of his home. The building, a two-storey hexagonal tower, is topped with a conical moveable dome. Details of the original telescope for the observatory are unknown, but it has been restored by the Landmark Trust and now houses a refracting telescope by Wray (SHA 2016).
Durlston Astronomy centre [DAC] (2011- ), Durlston County Park, Swanage, established as a component of the Durlston Castle Project. The observatory in the county park houses a 14-inch SCT catadioptric telescope. It runs public outreach events in conjunction with the Wessex Astronomical Society.
Markwick’s West Moors Observatory [MaOWM] (1919-1926), West Moors nr, Ferndown, established by E.E. Markwick a variable star and solar observer. Known as his ‘Beehive’ this final and ‘Romsey’ type observatory housed his 4-inch Grubb equatorial refractor (Shears 2012c).
Middlehill Observatory [MOSWD] (2007- ) Weymouth (?) small private observatory established by Rob Hodgkinson. A run-off shed building that houses a 14-inch SCT catadioptric telescope, the instrument is used for astrophotography.
Worth Hill Observatory [WHOWM] (c.1990s-2000s) Worth Matravers, established by David Strange as a private observatory at his home. The domed building housed a 500mm (19 1/2-inch) reflecting telescope. The observatory hosted open evenings, but has now been moved to Devon and is relocated to the Norman Lockyer Observatory as the Connaught Telescope (Moore 1996, 163-6).