Acfield’s Observatory ( -1970s), established by Frank Acfield at his home in Forest Hall, Newcastle, which housed a 10-inch reflecting telescope (Gooch 1979).
North Pennine Observatory [NPO] (c.2019- ), Allenheads, established by the Allenheads Contemporary Arts with help from regional funding. The wooden run-off roof observatory houses a 12-inch reflecting telescope on an equatorial mounting.
Battlesteads Observatory [BOWH] (c.2015- ), Battlesteads Hotel & Resaurant, Wark, nr Hexham, a commercial astronomical observing facility for public viewing – part of hotel. Run-off roof, wooden buildings house various SCT reflectors and Dobsonian reflectors for use under supervision.
Espin Observatory (1960s-2000), Close House, Heddon-on-the-Wall, established by Newcastle University. Three domes were erected on the site, the largest housing a 24 inch reflecting telescope made by Calver for he Reverend T.H.E.C. Espin (1858-1934) for his Wolsingham Observatory; with another dome housing a 4 1/2-inch Cooke refractor. With the closing of the Physics Dept. in the early 2000s the site was sold to local businessman and converted into a country hotel with the removal of two domes – fate of Espin Telescope unclear.
Hauxley Observatory [HOHNR] (c.2008- ), Hauxley Nature Reserve, established by the Northumberland Astronomical Society. The wooden run-off roof building houses a 14-inch SCT reflector on an equatorial mounting.
Hepple Observatory (c.1913-c.1940/50s), Hepplewoodside, Northumberland, established by Dr Wilfred-Hall (1874-1950s) of Woodside, Sharperton, Northumberland (1943). The observatory housed a 15-inch refracting telescope by Howard Grubb,
Woodside Observatory 1913
Kielder Observatory [KOK] (2008- ), Kielder Forest, established and run by the Kielder Observatory Astronomical Society, a registered charity (funding from Forestry Commission, EU etc.). The wooden observatory’s main instruments are a 16-inch SCT reflector and a 16-inch astrograph reflector, both on equatorial mounts.
Lilburn Observatory (1852- ), Lilburn Tower, nr. Wooler, established by Edward John Collingwood (1815-95) in 1852. It houses a 6⅓-inch refractor on a cross-axis English mounting along with a 4 1/2-inch transit instrument, both made by Troughton and Simms, London. The observatory survives as built, with its original fixtures, a time capsule from the 19th century (Clucas 2012; Obit., MNRAS, 56 (1896), p.197).
Twice Brewed Inn Observatory [TBIO] (c.2015- ), Barton Mill, Hexham, established by the Twice Brewed Inn. Run-off roof observatory houses a 10/12-inch SCT catadioptric telescope. A commercial public observing facility – part of pub & dining outlet.